Around the cottage:
- There is a beach on your doorstep and also the famous Ardroil beach is only a short drive away, you might encounter a few Highland Cows paddling there on a hot day.
Highland Cow Carving Stornoway
- The Community Shop is less than a ten-minute drive from the cottage so it’s easy to stock up on essentials.
- Abhainn Dearg Distillery, the first in the Outer Hebrides in almost two hundred years is on your doorstep!
- There is Loch Croistean Guest Centre, an ideal place if you like home baking! Try afternoon tea, morning coffee, or just to go and visit.
- Uig Community Centre at Timsgarry, home to the museum, they also run a cafe in the summer.
- Take a Sea Safari with Sea Trek, only twenty minutes from home, they have some spectacular adventures to offer families, including Dolphin and Whale hunting.
- Gallan Head an old RAF station now run by the local community is great for whale spotting.
Explore Callanish Standing Stones, The Brock and Gearrannan Black House Village or simply buckets and spades on the beach close to the cottage.
Don’t forget Uig Gala, if your around in July, that ‘s a great day out for all the family. There are fun days and festivals throughout the summer.
It takes about an hour to get to Stornoway, where there are sports facilities, swimming pool, climbing wall. Various play parks for kids of all ages and lots of places to ‘take shelter’ in wet weather, including a cinema, museums and galleries, not forgetting retail therapy.
If you travel further afield there is a great adventure ‘swing park’ at Ness, also ten pin bowling and a swimming pool. St. Moluag’s Church, dedicated to the shadowy figure of St Moluag, who is believed to have been a 6th-century Irish missionary, is also worth a visit. St. Moluag’s during its long history has earned a reputation for being a place of great mystery and legend.
Beach Bay Cottage is a place where families can relax, enjoy long lazy days and set their own agenda, or not.